Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Week 2

Wow, so much information and so little time.

One of the things I find most interesting is lateralization in the brain.  I am particularly fascinated by what happens when the corpus callosum is cut, and how this might differ in patients who suffer from agenesis of the corpus callosum.  I'm writing my C&R on that.  I've known about the split brain experiments since someone came to the gifted program in my high school to talk about it... what an eye opener that was!  I've always wondered about the fact that the patients who now have split brains say they don't perceive anything different...  is that just their left hemisphere talking?  What about the mostly mute right side?  And is this just an innacurate perception because neither hemisphere realizes there's been a change?  Clearly the person (persons?) talking understands what has happened...

And yep, do we now have two brains in one body?  What if one likes chocolate ice cream and the other one doesn't?  Weird stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment