Sunday, January 23, 2011

Week 6

Well, what a coincidence that we've been talking about memory, since I appear to be suffering from "CRS" these days.  I know we're technically on week 7 now, but I'm not there yet.  And I FORGOT to do Module 4's C&R!!!  How does that happen?

Actually, I know exactly how that happens.  Too much to do and too little executive functioning. :P

One thing I've found particuarly interesting is the part about encoding specificity.  The textbook mentioned the experiment done by Godden & Baddeley (1975) about divers learning lists of words while underwater and being able to recall more of them while underwater than while on the dock.

This explains something I've known about me, and probably other people, for a while.  I grew up in Georgia but now that I'm an adult I have worked hard to make my accent the typical neutral Midwestern.  However, whenever I talk about my childhood, I apparently lapse back into a thick Southern twang.  Thing is, I usually don't notice.  The people around me, however, find it really amusing, say it really is thick, and (DH especially) just love to point it out.

If I encoded these events in my memory during the same time I and everyone around me were speaking with a certain accent, then that's a really good explanation.  Wow -- as Stan or Kyle would say, "You know, I learned something today!" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment