Wow, the last week! I can't believe how much I've learned in such a relatively short amount of time. And doing the C&Rs and the research for my project, which has involved learning a lot about neurobiology and being amazed at the huge advances in the last ~15 years in imaging techniques -- all that has really piqued my interest that much more. I would love to be able to go into research in this field.
I was going to write a paper for the final project, but I decided to do a powerpoint instead. I hope that was the right decision -- I have trouble expressing myself succinctly at times, and I definitely overdo even when I know it's more than required. The powerpoint is good from that perspective, since it is forcing me to be clear and precise with the information. The drawback is that I feel motivated to explain every point in detail, and you can't really do that with a powerpoint. But, we'll see how it works out.
The chapter on abnormal psych and the next on therapies did yield a few surprises for me. I already knew some of the information, but I had no idea about a few things. For instance, I didn't know that traditional psychoanalysis involved such an intensive and prolonged amount of time. And I already knew there was controversy about personality disorders, but I was surprised to see the low validity and reliability when it comes to using them as diagnoses.
One of the things that really interests me is autism. I have a HFA (high-functioning autistic, a.k.a. Asperger's Syndrome) relative. I am following with great interest the new findings (not in the text) on a possible new drug to mitigate the social difficulties associated with ASD. That would be fantastic for everyone affected. Of course getting this particular person in my family to take any sort of drug is another story -- he is one extremely stubborn adult. But hopefully it can help others, especially children, and can be used in intensive early intervention.
I'm still doing the 16 hour days, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. And I'm hoping it's not the proverbial oncoming train! LOL. I have really enjoyed blogging here, though I don't know who's read it -- except you, Prof. P... :) I forsee more psychology in my future -- especially since I'm taking abnormal ppsych this upcoming quarter. (Even though it doesn't tranfer to UNO -- grr.) So, cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment