Sunday, February 6, 2011

Week 8

Week 8 post behind, like everything else.  But I'm going to get this done if it kills me.  And it just might.  At least my head is clear right now.  Better than yesterday -- so sleep deprived I got an awful headache and lost most of the day.  And I also had to drive to Lincoln to pick up my baby kitteh from vet.  Poor sweetheart -- she's been spayed and now must wear the Cone of Shame because she keeps trying to pull her stitches out.  She is very, very unhappy.

I did learn a lot of things I didn't know in Chapter 9.  I remember years ago when a friend of mine with a Ph.D. in child psychology was tickled pink over seeing the stages of development she'd studied so intensely happening in her own child.  She showed me what she meant when she was feeding her daughter in the high chair and put a napkin over a cookie to see if the baby would look for it or not -- object permanence!

I like what the textbook has to say about Piaget possibly underestimating when infants acquire object permanence, since it is a precursor necessary for symbolic thinking and language.  I talked very early, according to my mother, and she loves to tell stories about it.  I had a pretty large vocabulary by 6-9 months, according to my baby book.  I think that's nifty... of course, I was also a "difficult infant," as the text describes it.  I needed a lot of attention and mom says I never slept like an infant is supposed to.

Popped out talking and haven't shut up since!  Hah!

No comments:

Post a Comment